What does production logistics stand for?
Between procurement and distribution - production logistics
Production logistics is the logistics phase between procurement, i.e. the purchase and distribution of manufactured goods. Their task is to ensure an uninterrupted flow of materials and raw materials for their own production. Important here are the
- right amount,
- in the appropriate quality,
- at the right time.
At the same time, both costs and tied-up capital are to be kept as low as possible. To achieve this, low storage capacity and high handling capacity are targeted, which allows inventories to be kept low. This is also the greatest challenge in production logistics.
What are the tasks of production logistics?
Production logistics encompasses all of the following logistical areas related to production:
- The right choice of a location for production
- Planning, control and execution of transports and storage
- Planning of own inventories to compensate for seasonal fluctuations
- Determination of requirements for production