What is a bulk material?
Bulk cargo is one of the most transported main commodities. It belongs to the type of goods that are stored open or loose. Bulk material is defined by the grain size, the distribution of the grains and their bulk density. They are usually stored in silos or outside if they are not sensitive to weather.
Types of bulk material:
- Food: sugar, salt, coffee, flour or cereals
- Building materials: sand, gravel, cement or topsoil
- Raw materials: road salt, ore or coal
- Fillers: granules, pellets or pigments
Bulk materials are usually moved via conveyors for handling and processing. Various means of transport with different load carriers are available for transportation.
Load carrier for the transport of bulk materials:
- Road transport: Construction waste is transported on open truckloaders.
- Rail freight transport: Bulk goods are generally transported in special silo wagons.
- Maritime transport: Bulk cargoes are transported in special bunkers or bulk holds on ships.