Warehouse labeling: More efficiency in handling goods and merchandise
Smooth logistics is based on modern warehousing that enables efficient receiving and picking of goods. Depending on the industry and area of application, bearings differ greatly from one another. Warehouse labeling is based on labeling all items that are brought into the warehouse, picked there, and ultimately filed and "processed" in the form of a process.
At the beginning of the storage process is the goods receipt, the labeling ensures that each item can be identified and assigned to a storage location. The warehouse labeling in terms of storage depends on physical, technical and legal aspects - as far as the degree of organization of the company, especially the integration of the warehouse into the operational processes.
Factors that influence the bearing labeling
The warehouse labeling or warehouse designation functions as information for operational resource management. In this way, decisions can be made in relation to the capacities of the warehouse, e.g. with regard to seasonal products or their availability in general. We present some factors that are important in connection with warehouse labeling below:
- Bearing requirements: What properties should the bearing have? What storage capacity and handling capacity is required?
- Warehouse types: Is it a shipping warehouse, a warehouse for production or assembly operations, or and a spare parts warehouse? In addition, a differentiation is made here between a consignment warehouse, a small parts warehouse and a consignment warehouse.
- Storage withdrawal strategy: According to which regularities are storage bins selected? Is the focus on the number or capacity of storage locations or on optimizing picking routes?
- Storage unit: A central aspect of warehouse labeling is identification by means of storage unit number (SU number). Here, the quantity of an article number that can be traced back to an inbound delivery and originates from a load carrier is designated.
- Warehouse management software: Database maintenance for managing inventories, warehouse processes, storage locations, etc. requires the use of special software, which is also used for controlling, among other things.
A warehouse label is thus always dependent on the respective purpose of a warehouse and summarizes the information that is necessary for picking and co.