What is a shipping service?
Shipping services in logistics include all shipping services offered. These include, for example, courier services, parcel services and express services. However, shipping from a warehouse is also considered a shipping service. In warehouse logistics, the logistics company operating the warehouse usually handles the shipping of the stored goods.
What processes and tasks does a shipping service include?
When a shipping service is used by a customer, it involves many different processes. Which ones are really needed depends on the type of goods being transported and the shipping method.
For example, shipping services include:
- The order acceptance
- The removal of goods
- The preparation for dispatch in the form of picking, palletizing and foiling of goods.
- The issuance of all required documents
- The organization of transport
- The provision of the goods
- The actual shipping and transport
If the goods are special goods, such as hazardous goods or special goods with excess dimensions or weight, additional processes are required.